Friday, March 03, 2006

"Teen Titans" TV's most violent kids show?

The busybodies are at it again. This time, it's the conservative Parents Television Council, led by the smarmy L. Brent Bozell, going after violence in children's television:
The PTC study reviewed programming shown during three weeks from the summer of 2005. It examined shows on four broadcast and four cable networks: ABC, Fox, NBC, WB, ABC Family, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel and Nickelodeon.

The group's 2002 study of prime-time TV reviewed six broadcast networks.

The study found the Cartoon Network had the most violence overall, while the Disney Channel had the least.

It singled out the "Teen Titans" superhero cartoon, shown on the Cartoon Network and the WB, as the most violent show for children.

Naturally, not everyone is buying this.

"This group has a history of making sensational claims in order to push government control of content," said Jim Dyke, executive director of TV Watch.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:34 PM

    I cannot believe that the PTC does not have better things to do with its time. Parents and individuals already have necessary ratings and content-blocking tools to block any content that they don't want their TV monitor to show. Glad to see that TV Watch (www.televisionwatch.org) is taking an active part in this debate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:39 PM

    I can believe that Teen Titans is the most violent, but is it any worse then any of the others? It seems that every superhero show has a high violence rating. But what kind of violence is it? Is it past a childrens viewing? Think about all the silly cartoons out there where little people go into balls of dust fighting for no reason. That is something that I wouldn't like my children to watch, but I let my kids watch Teen Titans. Does that mean I'm exsposing my children to violence? I wouldn't think so. I think that some of those silly cartoons like Mickey Mouse, is the worst.

    ReplyDelete