Monday, March 13, 2006

Chef quits "South Park" over Scientology

Isaac Hayes, the voice of Chef on South Park, has quit the Comedy Central animated series, saying show crossed a line with its episode critical of Scientology. Hayes is a Scientologist.
"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," [Hayes] continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology ... He has no problem -- and he's cashed plenty of checks -- with our show making fun of Christians."

3 comments:

  1. Well, it's not like he's a regular on the show anyway..."Chef" is hardly on most of the episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over at my blog I just posted a quote on this very topic from the Onion AV Club interview with Isaac Hayes back in January:

    "Well, I talked to Matt and Trey about that. They didn't let me know until it was done. I said, "Guys, you have it all wrong. We're not like that. I know that's your thing, but get your information correct, because somebody might believe that shit, you know?" But I understand what they're doing. I told them to take a couple of Scientology courses, and understand what we do. [Laughs.]"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect Hayes was willing to drop the matter until he got a phone call from his "auditor."

    ReplyDelete