Saturday, February 18, 2006

Fantastic, no; but fun...?


I finally watched Tim Story's Fantastic Four movie. It's not very good. I could go on all day about the script, the special effects, the costumes, the make-up, the bad acting (I'm looking at you, Miss Alba*), and the obvious fact that none of the suits responsible for making this movie had enough confidence in it to film it as the epic adventure it should have been (and still it is one of Marvel's bigger movie hits).

But, damn it, the whole cast of Fantastic Four clearly is having so much fun it's hard not to enjoy the movie, anyway.

* Mind you, looking at Jessica Alba isn't exactly a chore.

5 comments:

  1. You know, that's pretty much the same reaction I had. I didn't like the way that they bollixed up the Doc Doom-FF backstory (although I don't know how they could have done it better and straightfaced), but the cast had chemistry, and they seemed to be taking it seriously enough to make it convincing. In other words, I was expecting a trainwreck, didn't get one, and as a result am now favorably inclined towards it.

    I paln to write a bit about it next time I do a JB Heart Netflix, whenever THAT will be...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorta had the same experience Johnny B did...expected "absolutely terrible," got "not very good but still watchable." The Thing worked far better than I expected he would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't see it yet ... but am I the only red-blooded heterosexual male in America who doesn't think Jessica Alba is very attractive?

    ReplyDelete